Thursday 10 September 2015

Evolution - A technical transition to victory

"If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle.
You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Now, water can flow or it can crash.
Be water, my friend."
Bruce Lee (1973)
I've been back on the tatami now for 4 weeks and I'm loving it.  But one thing has become apparent... My injuries are proving to be a problem.  Between my damaged left AC joint, left hand/wrist and tendonitis in my right elbow I'm finding that some techniques and kumi kata are harder for me to execute.  My 'go to' techniques (right sided Morote-seoi-nage & left sided Tai-otoshi) have now become less effective due to pain or restricted movement upon execution, meaning I am now having to change my entire style of fighting.  As much as this is an inconvenience for me, it is also interesting and challenging... and what Judoka doesn't relish a challenge!

The quote I have used by Bruce Lee sums this up quite aptly.

'Water in a cup' - I was comfortable with the Kumi-kata and Nage-waza I used on a regular basis.  Morote-seoi-nage and Tai-otoshi were becoming the Nage-waza I could trust and rely on... I was complacent.

'Water poured into a bottle' - I had been trying to improve my Kumi-kata for a while and would go on about it's importance when coaching.  I now have to put this into practice and change my Kumi-kata and Nage-waza to work around my injuries.  I have started using more Kumi-kata before trying to execute any Nage-waza in an attempt to baffle Uki and open up opportunities.  My Nage-waza also changed, I have started to using Ryo-hiza-seoi-otoshi (that's a mouthful!) and Tani-otoshi both from a left handed Kumi-kata. The Tani-otoshi Kumi-kata I have developed is very adaptable as it can be used to execute a deep hip throw of any kind depending on how Uki reacts - If they stay close you have Tani-otoshi, while if they step back/push away you have the deep hip.

'Water poured into a teapot' - This is the end stage, to become comfortable with the new Kumi-kata and Nage-waza I am using.  

'Be like water' - Evolution and adaptation, the technical transition to victory...

Until next time, keep on throwing peeps :)



No comments:

Post a Comment