Tuesday 1 September 2015

Back on the Tatami!!!

'Practise makes permanent...
not perfect.' 
Neil Adams (MBE)

Well, after 8 weeks of physio my shoulder for a long standing Judo injury ive finally been given the all clear to go back on the tatami! :D  I've had problems with my shoulder for over 10 years after dislocating it on the tatami twice, an unforgiving injury within the sport causing all sorts of recurring problems.  I Ave tried to get back into full training over the years following the second dislocation but all it took was a hard knock, a bad breakfall or someone landing on my shoulder following a throw.  It was the last of these that put me on the shelf just over a year go following a squad randori session.  I no longer complete sadly as my shoulder has become unstable and due to my Mum being the NW competition controler and my Dad being the NW director of examiner's it's hard to fight within the area.  LoL.
 
Over the past 3-4 years my coaching has started to focus more and more on technique and fighting styles.  I've become a little bit obsessed with the importance of Kumi-kata according to my friends (I thought that reading academic papers on Kumi-kata was normal?!?).  One of my favourite things to go on about is to use an average of 3 Kumi-kata before executing a winning Nage-waza.  The other thing that we enforce in our club is that you need to be able to understand the basics before you can master more technical Waza - why do we use that Kumi-kata, why Kuzushi, action reaction... I'm a firm believer that if a Judoka has technical skill they can overcome any opponent no matter how big or strong.
 
Two weeks ago I had my 1st session back on the tatami since starting physio (8 weeks before), and more importantly it was my 1st real randori session in over 1 year!  I was like a kid on Christmas day!  Most of the guys there were bigger than me and we're 1 Kyu's or Dan grades so I knew I was going to get a good scrap (something I have missed so much), but I knew I would need to go easy as I didn't want to damage my shoulder... again.  With this in mind I decided to put my theory into practice.  I actually surprised myself.  By consciously using a mix of Kumi-kata between attacks and a use of 'unorthodox' entry's I found I was able to score a number of Ippon scores with minimum scores against me.  Last week I went back to the same club and again, a mix of 3 Kumi-kata between main the attack meant that I scored more Ippon's and put the other person on the back foot.  One thing that I did notice was that there was a Judoka there that up until a year ago had train with us from novice to 2nd Kyu over 10 years.  We had spent alot of time training them to use technique over strength (he is as strong as an Ox!).  He left us and was training 4 times a week at various clubs within our area... What I wouldn't give to be able to do that again.  2 thing were apparent - 1. He was still as eager, dedicated, enthusiastic and determined as ever. 2. His technique... was none-existent.  He was now training with bigger Judoka at randori sessions and when watching him fight you could see this.  He had become predictable and relied on strength over technique.  When he came to fight me in Randori I knew exactly what he would do - Huge right hook to get a high grip, big pull down, grab low on the sleeve, 3x big pull down... turn in for a failed Uchi-mata.  It was a bit disheartening to see all the work we had done over 10 years fall apart within 1 year :(  I had a chat with him later on and explained to him that pulling Uki down closed them up and grounded them, he needed to pull up and out to open Uki up and initiate kuzushi.  2 minutes later and he went back to what he knew best... strength over technique.
 
All in all it was great to be back on the tatami and I'm itching for the next session.
 
Till next time peep, keep on throwing!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment