Monday 29 July 2013

Respect...

*This is a blog I did about 3 weeks ago but due to laptop being broken never got it posted.*

It’s been a busy week here in the world of Shaniepoo
'Is there no standard anymore?
What it takes, who I am, where I've been
Belong
You can't be something you're not
Be yourself, by yourself'
                                              
                                                                                         (Pantera, 1992)

On Monday I got the opportunity to shadow one of our AP’s in A&E as part of my course.  I remember working with her when she was a CSW and seeing her now 4-5 years after qualifying was quite inspiring.  Her general knowledge of nursing is huge!  And her ability to adapt to the constant changes in A&E was something to be proud of.  My only criticism… The green uniform… God it’s awful! 
After being inspired by working with the A&E AP we talked about leadership at Uni and what attributes are needed to be a leader and who inspires you as a leader, quite a coinkidink.  We discussed the difference between a 'leader' and a 'manager'... Two very different roles, and if I'm honest i don't think i know anyone with a combination of the two.  We discussed what attributes were needed to be a leader and someone came out with the most random attribute of all... 'Fear'.  They tried to explain why it was an inspiring attribute 'If you are feared by people then you have their respect and they are inspired by you to do better or they might lose your job.'  I tried to re-word what he said by asking if they meant 'perfessional respect' not 'fear''No, I mean fear.  If your scared you might lose your job of you do something wrong and the boss will come down on you like a tone of bricks then it inspires you to do better.  Same as bullying, if your bullied you start to do better so you won't get bullied anymore...'.  This broke down into a 2 sided argument that ended with a comment from me - 'So are you inspired by murderers? After all, you fear that they might kill you?  What about Hitler?  He put the fear of God into people and killed loads of people...'.  This didn't go down well.  If anyone does know the answer please send it to me on a self addressed postcard, top 5 answers will win a prize :)  I'd like to think I'm a leader and that people i work with look to me for guidance and support (i know everyone worships me already but this is about work).

On the work front i was taken to one side following something I'd done the week before... I put in a critical incident report about a pressure sore/wound i came across.  There was no documentation about where it came from (it just appeared from no where) and incorrect documentation about another persons wound.  I asked for advice from the nurse in charge and the nurse i was working with and both agreed that i should put a critical incident report in.  As it turns out i seam to have opened a can of worm.  I was taken to one side and told that in future I should consult the Sister on shift and not just go ahead and put in a clinical incident report.  As it turned out there was a wound care plan in place that I missed... It also turns out that the wound care plan as documented as being on the wrong location (left side and not right side).  I was told that I should still consult the Sister on shift.  I came away from work that day thinking that even though I'd
done the right thing I was being told off... a strange way of saying 'well done for bringing up failures within the workplace'.  This isn't the 1st and I'm sure it won't be the last can of worms I open ;)

Till next time peeps... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment